A4 - space for creativity and arts exhibitions



Monika Pascoe Mikyšková has been working as a lecturer of children art workshops in A4 for more than 2 years now. Also she used to have lectures about art history called “What is the art history actually about?” We asked her a few questions about her work and future plans in A4! 


1. You primarily work as a lecturer of children art workshops in A4. What do you like the most about this job?
I love the job because I see the importance in educating children about art. I have worked in this field for a few years, currently for the educational department of the Bratislava City Gallery. I believe that everybody can understand contemporary art, but it is important (and easier) if we start when kids are small so they can build a good relationship with it.


2. Lately you have started new project in A4 - exhibitions dedicated to visual arts. Can you tell us more about it? 
Yes, the space of A4 cafe is very specific, there is one wall where you can hang two dimensional pieces and the whole space with chairs and tables is a regular café. It is not a typical gallery space but I like that different people can meet with art. I would like to invite young conceptual artists, painters, and photographers. The first show was a performance by Dana Tomečková and Maja Stefančíková. They made a very delicate intervention with the lights during the opening which created a different experience of the space than usual.

3. How do you choose people who will exhibit in A4? If someone would be interested in presenting his artwork, is it possible to contact you for further discussion?
The artists I intend to invite are people whose work I have been following for a longer time and I love what they do. Maybe in the future I will make an open call for concepts and there will be chance for other artists to apply for exhibitions.



4. What is your personal approach to art? Are you an artist by yourself as well? 
I am also an artist. I mostly work with the medium of drawing, but I also make objects, and take photographs. What I exhibit always depends on the exhibition that I am working on at the time.

Comments